Monday, April 2, 2012

Nifty Thrifting Part 1


How could I have forgotten how fantastic thrift stores are?  My mom sent me thrifting the other day to look for something for my cousin and I was in awe. Yes, I bought TWO items but again this was part of the stipulations for my vow so I do not feel guilty. Especially considering the two items.

The first item is this American Eagle shirt which was $3.50 at Goodwill.  I love the Bohemian-style crocheted neckline. 


 This New York & Company blazer in the photo on the right was $5.  I took an identical Forever 21 blazer I had that had gotten too small and sold it at Plato’s closet for $4.90. So I basically broke even and have a fabulous new blazer that goes with everything.  I already had this burgundy purse is by Etienne Aigner and I can only imagine how much it retailed for.  (I got it for 25 cents!)

The outfit on the left has several thrifted items. The brown leather purse was 25 cents, as was the belt. The Hollister jeans were $10. In case you’re curious, the shirt is from Forever 21 and the shoes are Sperry Top Siders, which I’ve been wearing for years, which makes me cooler than the groupies.  :-)


I encourage you to start scouting out your local thrift stores. Some will be better than others. If you live in or near the city, you have a greater chance of finding brand names. Ask about return/exchange policies. If there is an “all sales final” policy you want to know.  Goodwill allows one exchange per month.  When you are thrifting, make sure to check the item thoroughly. I recently found a green belt I absolutely loved until my dad pointed out that the buckle was rusting.  I will say this: it is hard to go thrifting if you need something specific. But if you just have the urge to shop and have time to dig, then go for it and of course…share your success stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment