Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bohemia Lane

Everyone goes through fashion phases but the phase that keeps coming back for me is the hippy look. Although I think high fashion calls it the Bohemian look. Works for me.  Hippies and Bohemians are associated with a carefree, independent spirit; someone who can be soft and romantic one minute and feisty and unshakable the next. I've been told I should work more on acting Bohemian rather than just putting on the costume. I agree. Hopefully that spirit will work its way into my skin. (More on clothes and self-image in a future post.)

Here are three outfits I've worn lately that incorporate Bohemian elements into everyday, wearable looks that won't have people pointing peace-sign fingers.  It may be subtle, but compared to the mainstream fashion statements out there, I do consider these ensembles reasonably Bohemian.

LOOK #1: The Cold Weather Hippy

Shirt: JC Penney (I love the detailing in the neckline and the way the shirt flows so I don't have to have perfect posture every second. This is one reason I love hippy shirts.)
Belt: Can't remember. Jeans: Ross, Socks: My mom's circa 1979, Boots: Macy's


LOOK #2: The Workplace Hippy

My attempt at bringing Bohemia to work although my students informed me I looked Japanese. (I'll take that as a compliment.) The fitted shirt balances out the wide leg pants and thanks to the detailing in the shirt, it remains interesting with or without the necklace. Hopefully this outfit will please those that tell me I wear too much black and not enough color. :-)
Shirt: Forever 21 (Hand-me-down), Pants: New York & Company (Hand-me-down)
Necklace: *cough*.....Wal-Mart. A completely lucky freak purchase.
Sandals: Rack Room Shoes



LOOK #3: The Weekend Urban Hippy

I take no credit for this ensemble. My friend, Heyni, whom I mentioned in a recent post, put this one together for me. Shirt: $7 at Plato's Closet, Belt: JCPenney, Tights: Hand-me-down, Sandals: Rack Room Shoes








No comments:

Post a Comment