Monday, April 30, 2012

Canadian Camouflage Part 1

I just returned from a week in Canada where I was one of the chaperones for a high school music tour and it was quite the experience. Taking teenagers anywhere is an undertaking, but taking 90 teenagers out of the country is a whole new deal. Nevertheless we survived and I am happy to be back in my own bed.  I am excited to talk about fashion abroad.  Thanks to my life as a musician I have had the chance to travel quite a bit both across the US and internationally. I was determined not to look too much like a tourist this trip so the next few posts will feature tourist-practical and yet local-friendly outfits I came up with based on my observations. First, a few ground rules.


How to Appear like a Tourist
Wear jeans, tennis shoes, and lots of color. Make sure to wear a backpack and hold a map and camera in your hand at all times. A baseball cap is a nice touch. Look confused. Ask Canadians if they speak English.


How to Appear like a Local
Wear lots of black and gray. Limit your colorful items to no more than two, but preferably just one. For example, a colored rain coat. Or a red purse and a colorful scarf. Wear comfortable yet fashionable walking shoes.  Comfort is key (Yippee!) with both clothes and shoes. Assume everyone speaks both French and English. You avoid the risk of looking like a poser when you reply "Bonjour!" and then the Canadian rattles off in French and you look stupid.


We spent most of the trip in Montreal but our one day in Quebec City, three hours north, made the whole trip worth it. I know you shouldn't start with dessert but I'm dying to share the photos from this incredible city. The historical sites and the French charm made us all feel like we were in Europe. We were enchanted by the shops with their beautiful window displays and the brick streets that led us up the mountain to the Chateau Frontenac, the castle-looking structure barely visible in the background.


I'm a huge fan of the movie Chocolat so naturally I had to pose outside of this chocolaterie. A little about the outfit: My favorite jeans, black lace-up walking shoes which are typical if you're not wearing boots (I've had those shoes since high school!), a comfy yet dressy Kenneth Cole coat from my cousin, a scarf, and black designer shades ($6 at Ross). 

An example of the window displays. Yes, this does involve color so I'm sure in the warm weather months, color is more acceptable. I LOVE the cape and how it could brighten up an all black ensemble.

Another fancily decorated boutique with a classic nautical dress in the entryway. 

Too cool for school. (Me and my handsome brother.)

More pictures of Canada and Euro-inspired fashion coming soon. I developed a cold and have graduate exams this week so I have to hit the books. Au Revoir!

1 comment: